Wednesday 9 March 2011

Old dog, new digs

Life back in the world of science, VCCRI-style, has been an interesting experience, in part due to my new commute, which daily has me travelling two of Sydney's iconic bridges -  Anzac in the AM, and the SHB in the PM.  Such a 55 km loop, albeit longer in the mornings, cunningly has all the big gradients (namely Chatswood) negotiated in the downhill direction.  Most strikingly for me, who has largely (seemingly) been on the cycling-roads less travelled, is the eye-opening revelation of just how popular ye olde treadly has become over the last few (5?) years - especially with the Darlo-hipsters.  I am now just a pea in a bike-jam of hundreds streaming off the ANZAC in a morning, and down the SHB ramp at the end of the day.  For the first time in my life i feel that the bike is truly (finally) a mainstream transport option for the clunker that is Sydney.  My new abode, the Lowy Packer building, for instance, has a basement that accommodates 25 car spaces.  Also inhabiting this dungeon, as of midday, were approx 40 bicycles.  Whilst a certain number are simply being garaged (17 upon my arrival this morning), almost as many lemmings are riding as driving.  May the trend continue:)

Bat-cave at the Chang

No comments:

Post a Comment